[R-SIG-Mac] update graphics component without redrawing whole plot

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 16:12:51 CET 2009

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, iuhz7j202 at sneakemail.com wrote:

> Regarding adding Sys.sleep() call: it does make things smoother, but it also defeats the purpose of having live-updating graphics. (Adding a 0.1-second delay to each of the 10^6 simulation timesteps would be counterproductive). I could effectively do something like this by only updating the graphics every few hundred timesteps (I've done this in the past), and that may end up being the best solution.
>

> Prof. Ripley:

> That's what I thought. However there are some approaches, eg rgl and
> rggobi, that don't seem to have the pen-and-paper limitation. I've
> been playing with rgl, and you can remove individual elements from
> the shape stack -- you can't edit elements, but you can remove and
> replace them for somewhat smooth updating.

You asked about graphics devices, and those do not use R graphics
devices: maybe you did not mean the technical term?  OpenGL is a much
richer model, and many modern widget sets are also richer.

Another approach that may not play well on Macs is to use Tk: the
tkrplot demo shows you can more points around a Tk canvas smoothly.