[R-SIG-Mac] Case distinction on a Mac.

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 03:32:40 CET 2009

I am wondering if case-insensitive file systems are really such a
problem.  Because they are the norm on Windows, R is set up to cope
with them and I chose to have my Macs set up with the stanadard file
systems so I'm more likely to see problems if they occur.

The only time I have ever seen an issue was the no-segfault.R tests
creating a file PACKAGES and stopping a directory Packages being
created.

As I understand it Rolf was unaware that he had a case-insensitive
file system and so was surprised.  That's very understandable, and
I've seen it with some new Mac users here -- but they seem to get used
to it.

The problems I encounter are the other way around: users assuming
everything is case-insensitive and e.g. documenting 'R CMD install'
and 'R CMD CHECK' .I had assumed these were Windows users, but I now
realise that there may be Mac users who habitually ignore case.