[R-SIG-Mac] Multiple versions of R

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Feb 9 15:31:19 CET 2009

On Feb 9, 2009, at 3:08 , Matthew Fero wrote:

> Is there a way to maintain multiple versions of R and run them using
> R.app?  I can see that R.framework has multiple Versions subfolders
> but is appears the binaries are gone.

It means that you have upgraded your R instead of a fresh install (see
the ReadMe that is displayed during the installation). Therefore only
files that you have added after the installation were kept.

If you want to keep your previous version you have the delete the
receipt (see the read). Alternatively on Mac OS X 10.5 you can use
pkgutil --forget with the package identifier (use pkuntils --pkgs |
grep r-project to see which R packages are installed).

Note than even if you install multiple versions in parallel, you
should use RSwitch (or do the same manually) to switch between them
for reliable operation (see FAQ for details).