[R-SIG-Mac] unprecedented errors at start-up

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Dec 22 19:22:06 CET 2009

On Dec 22, 2009, at 1:07 PM, Massimo Pinto wrote:

> Thank you Simon. I have tried the changing locale option but got no
> result. When you allude to restoring permissions, what are the files
> that you have in mind?

I meant fix permissions using Disk Utility - the usual step to take on a OS that acts funny, but I suspect you may have to re-install OS X in the end (the issue is not R-specific pretty much everything will fail on the locales as you can see from tar ...)

(BTW: you don't have Xcode installed so the failed source installation is due to that which is unrelated to the locales...).

> Cheers
> Massimo
>

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 16:44, Simon Urbanek
> <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 22, 2009, at 9:34 , Massimo Pinto wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings all
>>>
>>> I have left R aside for about a week and upon going back to it I have
>>> found errors which I had not encountered before. I have upgraded to
>>> OSX 10.6 recently and these errors may be a consequence of such
>>> upgrade.
>>>

>> Seems like it. Your system locales seem to be completely messed up. Seems
>> like Archive&Install is probably what you want to do ... I have never seen
>> this before so I don't know why your OS broke so badly. You may try the
>> usual restore permissions, change locale, re-install OS X etc.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon
>>

>>> A first error encountered at start-up refers to the use of my locale:
>>>
>>> ========
>>>
>>> During startup - Warning messages:
>>> 1: Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"
>>> 2: Setting LC_COLLATE failed, using "C"
>>> 3: Setting LC_TIME failed, using "C"
>>> 4: Setting LC_MESSAGES failed, using "C"
>>> [R.app GUI 1.31 (5537) i386-apple-darwin9.8.0]
>>>
>>> WARNING: You're using a non-UTF8 locale, therefore only ASCII
>>> characters will work.
>>> Please read R for Mac OS X FAQ (see Help) section 9 and adjust your
>>> system preferences accordingly.
>>>
>>> ============
>>>
>>> when trying to install a binary package from BioConductor, using the R
>>> GUI, I get:
>>>
>>> =-===========
>>> The downloaded packages are in
>>>
>>>  ‘/private/var/folders/vM/vMSy+Iu8HwS2jf2eaEcYFU+++TI/-Tmp-/RtmpipsYIY/downloaded_packages’
>>> trying URL
>>> 'http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.5/bioc/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.10/Rgraphviz_1.24.0.tgz'
>>> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 800621 bytes (781 Kb)
>>> opened URL
>>>
>>> downloaded 781 Kb
>>>
>>> tar: Failed to set default locale
>>> ===============================================
>>>
>>> similarly, when trying a source package:
>>>
>>> =========
>>> trying URL
>>> 'http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.5/bioc/src/contrib/Rgraphviz_1.24.0.tar.gz'
>>> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 571761 bytes (558 Kb)
>>> opened URL
>>> downloaded 558 Kb
>>>
>>> During startup - Warning messages:
>>> 1: Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"
>>> 2: Setting LC_TIME failed, using "C"