[R-SIG-Mac] Data Editor Question

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Fri Dec 18 16:08:52 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Francis Smart <smartfra at msu.edu> wrote:
> I was wondering, does R allow you to open a data editor, look at all
> data, variable names, variable labels, and sort by multiple variables?
>  Would you want to use R if you have to clean a complex data set in R?

Hi, Francis.

If you are looking for a GUI to examine your data, like Excel, then
not really.  However, R is exactly the place to go for "cleaning"
complex data.  See, for example, the functions summary(), head(),
colnames(), sort(), and order().

> If R does not have an advanced data editor is there an open source
> program that would handle these tasks well?

R IS an advanced data editor.  However, the interace is not point-and-click.

Sean