[R-SIG-Mac] Internationalization of the R.app

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat Dec 12 15:31:16 CET 2009

On Dec 12, 2009, at 8:05 AM, huang min wrote:

> HI,
>
> I am a new MAC user. I just installed R. Some error message occurs:
>
> During startup - Warning messages:
> 1: Setting LC_CTYPE failed, using "C"
> 2: Setting LC_COLLATE failed, using "C"
> 3: Setting LC_TIME failed, using "C"
> 4: Setting LC_MESSAGES failed, using "C"
> WARNING: You're using a non-UTF8 locale, therefore only ASCII
> characters will work.
> Please read R for Mac OS X FAQ (see Help) section 9 and adjust your
> system preferences accordingly.
> I read the FAQ and find
>

> If you use a non-standard setup (e.g. different language than formats), you
> can override the auto-detection performed by setting force.LANG defaults
> setting, such as for example
>
>     defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG en_US.UTF-8
>
> I tried the line above in R but fails.

It's a shell command, you type that in the Terminal. From R you can also do that using
system("defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG en_US.UTF-8")

PS: If you want any additional help, please include sessionInfo() and the exact GUI version string as well as the custom local settings you're using.