[R-SIG-Mac] R.app feature request

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Dec 6 00:48:29 CET 2009

On Dec 5, 2009, at 5:51 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 05/12/2009 5:00 PM, Soeren.Vogel at eawag.ch wrote:
>> Dear R.app developers
>> Would be a nice feature if one could change the default help
>> browser  to an external application, e.g. Safari or Firefox.
>
> I'm not sure this is an improvement, but it's easy to do:

Thank you, Duncan. I think it could be an improvement on my system
because the R Rd browser fails to link to follow external URL's in the
most recent MacOS incarnation. You can copy and paste to a browser,
but you get failure and sometimes you get freezes.

> 1.  Create your own "print.help_files_with_topic" function, copied
> from the private one in utils:
>
> print.help_files_with_topic <- utils:::print.help_files_with_topic

> 2.  Edit it so it doesn't replace the browser when .Platform$GUI ==
> "AQUA" && type == "html".
>
> That's it  ---  now it will respect your choice of
> getOption("browser").

Works for me. Thanks for the advice.

--
David Winsemius, MD