[R-SIG-Mac] Multiple threads on MacPro

Max Kuhn mxkuhn at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 18:22:25 CEST 2009

You might want to take a look at Dirk's course notes:

   dirk.eddelbuettel.com/papers/bocDec2008introHPCwithR.pdf

to understand what R can do in general. I use nws and Rpmi (via the
snow package). I haven't tried the multicore package yet.

You have the required libraries for mpi, so you might want to start
there. The snow package is pretty easy to used, as is foreach.

Max

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Steve
Lianoglou<mailinglist.honeypot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Aug 31, 2009, at 12:10 PM, Matthew Fero wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering what is the best way is to take advantage of the multiple
>> CPUs on a MacPro?  For example, does someone have suggestions on how to
>> setup and use parApply functions, in the snow package, on a multi-core Mac?
>
> I don't know if it's the best, but lately I like using the foreach package
> with the multicore backend
>
>  * http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/foreach/index.html
>  * http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/doMC/index.html
>  * http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/multicore/
>
> -steve
>
> --
> Steve Lianoglou
>  |  Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
>  |  Weill Medical College of Cornell University

Max