[R-SIG-Mac] multiple R versions in a multi-user environment

Bill Knebel billk at metrumrg.com
Thu Aug 27 20:13:02 CEST 2009

We run R in a multiuser environment (Mac OSx Leopard Server utilizing R
+ESS over an ssh connection) that requires us to keep multiple
versions of R (R-2.7.2 and higher) available on the same machine.   I
have successfully installed multiple R versions using the binaries for
Mac OSX  and deleting the relevant Receipt before installing the newer
version of R.  My problem occurs when allowing individuals to run
different versions of R. I would like to be able to allow users to run
any verison that is currently installed.  The Rswitch gui works nicely
if I want to make a global switch (for all individuals) from one
version of R to another.  The Mac OSx FAQ recommends not to hardcode
the shell scripts to start R to a specific version (FAQ 12.15). Am I
better off building R from source for each version we need and
bypassing the Frameworks approach for R used by the binaries or is the
a "safe" approach to use the binaries and utilize hardcoded shell
scripts to point to a given version of R?  (I have created some shell
scripts (hacked from those provided) that allows me to start either
R-2.6.1 or R-2.7.2 but the Mac OSX R FAQ recommends against this
approach.) If there is somewhere else I should be reading, I would
appreciate a pointer and I would be happy to review.

Thanks for any help.

Bill