[R-SIG-Mac] OT: Snow Leopard and Application Compatibility

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 27 18:07:24 CEST 2009

"-m64 -O3 -fopenmp -mtune=native" for C and C++ and FORTRAN

yes, SL is darwin 10

deleeuw at cuddyvalley:~/ > uname -a
Darwin cuddyvalley.org 10.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31
22:47:34 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1456.1.25~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

note: no ppc or i386 in the R build. if i buy a book i don't
buy additional copies in finnish and urdu, especially since those
are languages i can't read.

On Aug 27, 2009, at 08:50 , Steve Lianoglou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Aug 27, 2009, at 11:43 AM, Jan de Leeuw wrote:
>
>> I have been using SL for over a year. Compiling and running a
>> x86-84 bit R
>> can be done without problems. There are about 600 packages in my R
>> install,
>> all build and run without problems. I don't know about R.app,
>> though. I do
>> find that R on SL, with suitable optimization flags, feels quite a
>> bit faster.
>
> Would you mind sharing what optimization flags those might be? :-)
>
> In one of your previous posts you mention that you configure R for
> source compilation via this command:
>
> configure --with-aqua --with-blas='\''-framework vecLib'\'' --with-
> lapack --prefix=/usr/local/R --disable-R-framework --with-readline --
> with-cairo --enable-memory-profiling --enable-R-shlib --x-includes=/
> usr/X11R6/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib --build=x86_64-apple-
> darwin10 --host=x86_64-apple-darwin10 --target=x86_64-apple-darwin10
>
> I'm not sure I see any optimization flags there (aside from
> specifying darwin10 (for snow leopard, I reckon?)), but is all that
> you mean?
>
> Thanks,
> -steve
>

>> On Aug 27, 2009, at 05:20 , Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>>
>>> There are list members with access to the developer pre-release
>>> 'seeds', and I have seen 'Mac OS X 10.6' in one report (with a
>>> corresponding sessionInfo() output). So it seems very likely there
>>> is no problem with R, and most likely none with with R.app.
>>>
>>> (We are deferring upgrading until our sysadmins are back from
>>> holiday absences.)

>>> --
>>> Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
>>> Professor of Applied Statistics,  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
>>> University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
>>> 1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272866 (PA)
>>> Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595

>> ===
>> Jan de Leeuw; Distinguished Professor and Chair, UCLA Department of
>> Statistics;
>> Director: UCLA Center for Environmental Statistics (CES);
>> Editor: Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Journal of Statistical
>> Software;
>> US mail: 8125 Math Sciences Bldg, Box 951554, Los Angeles, CA
>> 90095-1554
>> phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu
>> .mac: jdeleeuw ++++++  aim: deleeuwjan ++++++ skype: j_deleeuw
>> homepages: http://gifi.stat.ucla.edu ++++++ http://
>> www.cuddyvalley.org

> Steve Lianoglou
>  |  Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
>  |  Weill Medical College of Cornell University

===
phone (310)-825-9550;  fax (310)-206-5658;  email: deleeuw at stat.ucla.edu