[R-SIG-Mac] Package Installer of R 2.9.1 (64 bit)?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Aug 6 19:34:11 CEST 2009

On Aug 6, 2009, at 12:24 , Stranathan, Dan wrote:

> Hello all
>

> First post here. Warning: I'm an IT sys admin, not a programmer or
> developer. I'm a tad confused on the 32 bit vs. 64 bit versions of R
> for Mac OS X (x86). Looking for some clarification.
>
> I'm looking for a current (stable) 64bit version of R to run on a
> 2009 Intel Serve. I will be using it with Bioconductor. My users
> will be running R from the command line or X11 via SSH primarily
> (i.e.; not from the Aqua console GUI). Even though I may not need to
> use a 64bit version of the R GUI, Id like to have it installed just
> in case.
>
> I see that there is a .pkg  installer for R 2.9.1 available as
> a .dmg, but it appears to be a 32bit. Is there not a 64 bit version
> available in a .pkg installer format as well?

Currently, no, but you can install the 2.9.0 one and update to 2.9.1
using nightly the tarball from
http://r.research.att.com/

> If not, do I need to compile a 64bit version from source?

No

> I'm curious as to why there isn't a 64 bit version in .pkg format.

The new PackageMaker in Leopard is incompatible with the old one used
to build the installation packages for Tiger. Also there are issues
with the way it collects the resources to be installed, so it doesn't
work properly in automated environments. The bottom line is that
the .pkg for 2.9.0 was created manually and I didn't have the time to
do that same for 2.9.1 (too many conferences etc.).

> Looking around the 'Net, I did find what appears to be a 64 bit
> version of R, but its a little older version  - 2.9.0 (Its under the
> "Leopard Build" section on this page: http://r.research.att.com/ )
> I'm curious as to why there is a 64 bit version of 2.9.0 (app & GUI)
> available, but there isn't one available for 2.9.1.

Yes, there is:
as of today: R 2.9.1 Patched (2009-08-05)
http://r.research.att.com/R-2.9-branch-leopard-universal.tar.gz

(just unpack using sudo tar fxz R-2.9-branch-leopard-universal.tar.gz -
C / )

Corresponding 64-bit GUI:
http://r.research.att.com/R-GUI-5455-2.9-leopard-Leopard64.dmg

Corresponding 32-bit GUI:
http://r.research.att.com/R-GUI-5455-2.9-leopard-Leopard.dmg

> I know this has been discussed in the past, but I just want to
> clarify. I have seen posts in this list back in June/July 2009. At
> that time there was a discussion of installing R 2.9.1 64 bit app
> and then retro-fitting it with a stand-alone version of the 64 bit
> GUI. Is this still the best way to do this? Or has someone put
> together an installer with the 64 bit app (2.9.1) and a 64 bit
> version of the GUI?

Not yet. The easiest is probably to install the 2.9.0 package and then
unpack the tar ball to update it. The GUI didn't change from 2.9.0 to
2.9.1, but there was a fix few days ago, so just take the most recent
and you're set.