[R-SIG-Mac] R 2.9.0 crashed when a txt file is dragged onto its icon

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Apr 22 15:24:26 CEST 2009

Bambang,

On Apr 21, 2009, at 21:37 , Bambang Suryobroto wrote:

> Dear colleagues;
>
> I have R 2.8.0 installed in my Macbook Air and this morning upgraded
> to R 2.9.0.
>
> In 2.8.0 I used to drag txt files to R icon while R is running; it
> will be openned in a new editor window. However now using 2.9.0 I
> failed twice dragging the txt file to R icon.

The attached logs show a hang, not a crash. At the time the GUI was
busy running through syntax highlighting - could it be that you are
using some very large files? Large files can use substantial time in
syntax highlighting before they can be displayed. Are you using the
exact same file you have loaded in 2.8.x? The highlighting code did
not change in R 2.9.0 so a change from previous versions would be
surprising. For very large files you may want to disable syntax
highlighting [but at least on the machines I have tested this applies
only to files of several megabytes which is not realistic for R
scripts].