[R-SIG-Mac] new installation of R 2.8.1 hangs on Mac OS X 10.5.6

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Apr 14 16:34:30 CEST 2009

On Apr 14, 2009, at 9:26 , Massimo Pinto wrote:

> Hi Simon,
> Thank you. It's a several minutes hang, on a relatively fast
> 'university' LAN. But more interestingly, perhaps, Mac OS 'believes'
> that R is not responding while it goes ahead and installs packages.
> Does that suffice to claim that installation of extra packages is
> dysfunctional on my platform?

No, that is (sort of) normal. The installation is synchronous, i.e. R
won't come back until the installation has finished, so the R GUI
won't be able to respond to the OS until R handles the control back.
The OS interprets this as not responding, since the GUI cannot process
event while R is installing away happily.

> I have successfully managed to install packages by hand, few days
> ago, after I had dowloaded them manually, and this had worked - but
> for "genefilter". Since I was getting stuck with the installation of
> genefilter, I erased R (following instructions) and re-installed it
> from the .dmg package. That, however, does not seem to have helped
> much.

Well, why don't you tell us what is your problem with genefilter?
(Actually you may even take this to the BioC list since this appears
to be really a BioC question ...).