[R-SIG-Mac] new installation of R 2.8.1 hangs on Mac OS X 10.5.6

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Apr 14 15:10:51 CEST 2009

On Apr 14, 2009, at 8:57 AM, Massimo Pinto wrote:

> Greetings,
> I am having troubles getting R to work on a Mac OS X 10.5.6,
> Leopard. I have
> installed R 2.8.1 (R 2.8.1 GUI 1.27 Tiger build 32-bit) from a .dmg
> file
> using the Mac OS installer, and, apparently, everything went smoothly.
>> From R, I would like to install a few basic packages that I will
>> need to run
> in conjunction with "Agi4x44PreProcess" which I need to use to
> preprocess my
> cDNA microarray data. This is what I do from the R console:
>
> source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
>    biocLite()
>
> I do get a list of the packages that will be installed, but then the
> system
> hangs and I have to resort to a "Force Quit".
> I get the same behaviour when I try the package installer, right
> from the R
> GUI. Again, I got a hang.

How long is the "hang"? Note that the installation can take a while
depending on your connection since some of the packages are big. If R
hangs for a while even installing one package, then there may be some
problem with your internet connection. In that case you may want to
download the files manually (e.g. thorough a proxy) and install them
from local files.