[R-SIG-Mac] tab completion on R terminal (Mac)

Ping-Hsun Hsieh hsiehp at ohsu.edu
Tue Apr 7 21:35:40 CEST 2009

Hi Simon,

I tried both installing the readline in my home dir and asking my system admin to install it for me, but none of these works out. We downloaded the readline-6.0 from GUN, and used the configure/make install described in http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html
Sec. 2.1.3

The configure seems running well, no error messages at least, but the following error messages popped up when we were trying to install it.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
( cd examples ; make  DESTDIR= install )
/bin/sh ../support/mkdirs /usr/local/share/readline
mkdir /usr/local/share/readline
mv /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a /usr/local/lib/libreadline.old
mv: rename /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a to /usr/local/lib/libreadline.old: No such file or directory
make: [install-static] Error 1 (ignored)
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 libreadline.a /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a
test -n "ranlib" && ranlib /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a
ranlib: empty library: /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a (no table of contents added)
mv /usr/local/lib/libhistory.a /usr/local/lib/libhistory.old
mv: rename /usr/local/lib/libhistory.a to /usr/local/lib/libhistory.old: No such file or directory
make: [install-static] Error 1 (ignored)
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 libhistory.a /usr/local/lib/libhistory.a
test -n "ranlib" && ranlib /usr/local/lib/libhistory.a
ranlib: empty library: /usr/local/lib/libhistory.a (no table of contents added)
( cd shlib ; make  DESTDIR= install )
/bin/sh ../support/mkdirs /usr/local/lib
/bin/sh ../support/shlib-install -O darwin9.6.0 -d /usr/local/lib -b /usr/local/bin -i "/usr/bin/install -c -m 644" libhistory.6.0.dylib
/bin/sh ../support/shlib-install -O darwin9.6.0 -d /usr/local/lib -b /usr/local/bin -i "/usr/bin/install -c -m 644" libreadline.6.0.dylib
install: you may need to run ldconfig

It looks like the installation was trying to mv/change names of files, but it failed due to no such file or directory. Though I am not sure what these files are.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
PingHsun