[R-SIG-Mac] R 2.7.2 for Mac OS X released

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Sep 22 15:40:42 CEST 2008

Anastassia,

On Sep 20, 2008, at 5:04 PM, Anastassia Scheidegger wrote:

> Dear Simon
>
> For some reason I cannto install R-2.7.2 on my Mac (Mac OS 10.3.9) and

unfortunately we don't support 10.3 (Panther) anymore. It is way too
old (almost 5 years now) and with the introduction of Intel Macs the
newer systems diverged too much such that it is not possible to use
the same code on new systems and Panther. Therefore you'll have to
upgrade at least to 10.4 to use R binaries (it's faster so if you have
a G4 it's a good idea to do so).

Alternatively you can compile R yourself (which is what Stephen is
reporting about here), but R starting with 2.7 Aqua/Quartz is no
longer supported on 10.3 even in the sources, so you can only use the
X11 interface. Also you'll need to compile packages from sources (use
type='source' in install.packages).

Finally, the last R binary supporting OS X 10.3 was R-2.2.1 which is
still available from CRAN. It is very old, so it will lack many new
features and bugfixes.

> I cannot find
> installations for R-2.7.1 either.

See the "old" directory on the CRAN page.