[R-SIG-Mac] Building R 10.3.9

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Sep 17 15:28:24 CEST 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 18:22 , stephen sefick wrote:

> I have an old ibook that is not ready to go out to pasture
> 256 RAM
> 933 processor
>
> Can I build R 2.7.2 and up on this computer so that it will work with
> install.packages()

For several reasons, no. First (and main) reason is that we simply
don't build 10.3 binaries anymore (for quite a while), so you have to
install packages from sources at any rate. Second reason is since R
2.7.0 we have a completely new Quartz which is built into R which
requires 10.4 or higher. You can still build R without Quartz support,
but you'll lose all the Mac goodies (i.e. you'll have to resort to X11).
Alternatively you can stick to R 2.6 which can be built for 10.3 with
all bells and whistles. Unfortunately I don't have any 10.3 machines
anymore (it's painful enough to maintain 10.4 for the time being ;)),
so I cannot provide you with a binary :/