[R-SIG-Mac] R 64 Bit Leopard and X11

Jason Ellul Jason.Ellul at petermac.org
Mon Sep 1 07:52:25 CEST 2008

Hi all,
I am using Mathew's method for installing 64 bit R on Leopard
(http://www.matthewckeller.com/html/64_bit_r_on_mac.html). When I try to
plot in an X11 window R keeps crashing. Has anyone else experienced this or
does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix it?

When I install the standard 32 bit R 2.7.2 from the DMG this error does not
occur.

I guess I could try compiling R from source myself rather using Mathew's
method but before I do that I just wish to find out whether it is a problem
in the Universal nightly builds for Mac OS X, the install method or
something else.

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.7.2 Patched (2008-08-29 r46465)
i386-apple-darwin9.4.0

locale:
en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8/C/C/en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8

attached base packages:
> x11()
> plot(1:10)

 *** caught bus error ***
address 0x80, cause 'non-existent physical address'

Traceback:
 1: axis(side = side, at = at, labels = labels, ...)
 2: Axis.default(...)
 3: Axis(...)
 4: localAxis(if (is.null(y)) xy$x else x, side = 1, ...)
 5: plot.default(1:10)
 6: plot(1:10)

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
2: normal R exit
3: exit R without saving workspace
4: exit R saving workspace
Selection:

Thank you,

--

Jason Ellul
Junior Bioinformatics Analyst

This email (including any attachments or links) may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information and is
intended only to be read or used by the addressee.  If you
are not the intended addressee, any use, distribution,
disclosure or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited.
Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this email
(including any attachments) are not waived or lost by
reason of its mistaken delivery to you.
If you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify us immediately by telephone or email.  Peter
MacCallum Cancer Centre provides no guarantee that this
transmission is free of virus or that it has not been
intercepted or altered and will not be liable for any delay
in its receipt.