[R-SIG-Mac] best way to work with R on a Mac (leopard)

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Tue Oct 28 01:44:40 CET 2008

Hi

You can split an emacs frame window into several windows with e.g.
C-x 2   (splits window horizontally)
C-x 3   (splits window vertically)
Then you can write your code in one buffer, and submit it to
the running R session in another buffer via
C-n
on a given line of R code
C-r submits a region of code etc.

However, the R inputs and outputs both show in the R session
buffer.  (Perhaps some ESS guru knows how to make the
R buffer show output only?)

One nice thing about the R session in an emacs buffer is
that you can edit it too, so if you evaluate something
inappropriate you can delete it from the R session window
with standard Emacs editing commands.

Here's some example Emacs commands to help automate setting up
a divided frame (put these into your .emacs file or
into an emacs lisp file that you can load when needed)
;;; -------------------------------------------------------------
;;; Commands to set up windows useful for R script processing.
(modify-frame-parameters
   (selected-frame)
   '((width . 232) (height . 56) (top . 0) (left . 64) ))

(split-window-horizontally -88)
(split-window-vertically)

;;; -------------------------------------------------------------

Steven McKinney

Statistician
Molecular Oncology and Breast Cancer Program
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre

email: smckinney +at+ bccrc +dot+ ca

tel: 604-675-8000 x7561

BCCRC