[R-SIG-Mac] a question regarding Leopard and gfortran

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Oct 22 21:39:34 CEST 2008

On Oct 22, 2008, at 15:13 , Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> Thanks to Simon for all the work on the compilers.
>
> I can see that the compilers and instructions have been updated on
> the "tools" page (r.research.att.com/tools). It seems as if the
> recommended way for us Leopard users is to use
>
> gcc 4.2 (Apple Inc. build 5564) for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger): (updated
> 2008/09/16)
>
> in order to get a gfortran.

No, on Leopard you should get the gfortran-4.2 for Leopard. That keeps
your Xcode gcc intact. Unfortunately the PackageManager is a bit
broken, so the packaged version is still 5531, but there is also a
5564 version based in GNU Fortran 4.2.4 at
http://r.research.att.com/gfortran-4.2-5564-darwin9.tar.gz
it requires Xcode 3.1 to work. I'm currently building the Leopard
release which will include that compiler.

> Unfortunately, unlike earlier gfortrans, this one also overwrites
> the Xcode GCC (although it seems as if it is the same exact version)
> and does not come with a gfortran-uninstall script. Personally I am
> a bit hesitant to do this, I vastly prefer the old style with a
> separate gfortran and an uninstall script. Is there any chance we
> will get this? Or should I be using gfortran 4.2.3 anyway?
>
> Small comments on the page
> 1) the comment on Xcode 3.1 under Leopard CRAN seems a bit odd. When
> I run the Xcode 3.1 installer I do not really have an option of
> (de)selecting 4.2 separately.

Ok, thanks, point taken, gcc-4.2 is on by default now which I didn't
notice.

> 2) I cannot find the gcc_select script mentioned under alternative
> compilers in my installation. I know I used to have it under Tiger
> to switch between gcc 3 and 4, but it is absent on my machine

... in which case you clearly cannot use it ;) That's why I mentioned
it as one of the alternatives. It will be present if you installed the
10.3 SDK on Leopard and it works just fine with gcc-4.2.