[R-SIG-Mac] quartz bug?

David Airey david.airey at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Oct 16 22:25:38 CEST 2008

> I'm having problems printing a PDF via LaTeX that was created in R
> for OS X (latest versions). The package that created the files was
> akima; that's probably irrelevant. I can't print the PDFs from
> Preview when they are in a LaTeX generated PDF, although I can print
> them in their original form. The files are temporarily at
>
> http://public.me.com/dairey
>
> in the bad_pdf directory. I'm printing to an HP Laserjet (1320). The
> PS error is complaining about ArialMT as far as I can tell. But when
> I read help for quartz(), the top of the help file says,
>
> family
> this is the family name of the font that will be used by the device.
> Default "Helvetica".
>
> and the bottom of the help file says,
>
> The default font family is Arial.
>
> So which is it? And why when I use quartz.options(family="Arial",
> reset=TRUE), do quartz() devices not respect my command? All
> resulting graphs still look like Helvetica. Could this be the
> problem with printing PDFs? Why is the GUI preferences for changing
> the font there but one cannot alter the font?

I wrote the above earlier. Turns out, when I save a PDF from the
quartz device, and include it in a latex document, I get a memory full
error associated with definefont postscript command. If I make the PDF
using the pdf() function, I get no error from printing the figures in
latex. So I think there is some kind of bug/difference between saving
a PDF from the quartz() device and creating a PDF using pdf(). Also, I
note that the figures are not quite rendered exactly the same.