[R-SIG-Mac] Confused with default device setup

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 15 23:54:03 CEST 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Gang Chen wrote:

> When invoking dev.new() on my Mac OS X 10.4.11, I get an X11 window
> instead of quartz which I feel more desirable.  So I'd like to set
> the default device to quartz. However I'm confused because of the
> following:
>
> > Sys.getenv("R_DEFAULT_DEVICE")
> R_DEFAULT_DEVICE
>         "quartz"
>
> > getOption("device")
> [1] "X11"
>
> What's going on?

I don't know (it is your machine), but here's my guess ....

I dom't see R_DEFAULT_DEVICE set on my Mac, but note that
R_INTERACTIVE_DEVICE takes precedence in interactive use.  So something in
your setup is different from mine, maybe some startup files or R.app
preferences?  The first diagnostic step is to see if R_INTERACTIVE_DEVICE
is set and why R_DEFAULT_DEVICE is set (and see below for why the current
setting is dangerous).

> Also is file Renviron under /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/
> etc/ppc/ the one I should modify if I want to change some environment
> variables? But I don't see R_DEFAULT_DEVICE there.

As to where you should set it, it depends on who you want to set it for,
and how you run R (from R.app or from the command line).  But Renviron is
not the right place: a file Renviron.site in that directory would be if
you want a system-wide setting (see ?Startup).  But do be careful, as if
you make quartz the default for remote interactive or batch sessions you
are likely to get undesirable behaviour (possibly even crashes for some R
versions).  In short, don't set R_DEFAULT_DEVICE to an screen device.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk