[R-SIG-Mac] /bin/sh: tar: command not found

[Ricardo Rodriguez] Your XEN ICT Team webmaster at xen.net
Mon Oct 6 00:51:09 CEST 2008

Hi,

Stefan Evert wrote:
> If I understand the Leopard architecture correctly, you don't want to
> mess around with /etc/bashrc to set additional paths. Rather, add a
> new file to /etc/paths.d/ which contains _only_ the extra search path.
> This should be included automatically in $PATH when you start a new
> Terminal session, but won't work for R.app either.

This works fine, thank you. Please, is it possible to modify the
position where  the new path will be inserted in $PATH? It is added at
the end of the string by default. I would like to insert in at the
beginning.

>> GMXUX-Ricardo-Rodriguez:.MacOSX rrodriguez$ cat environment.plist
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
>> "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
>> <plist version="1.0">
>> <dict>
>>   <key>M2</key>
>>   <string>/usr/local/apache-maven/apache-maven-2.0.9/bin</string>
>>   <key>M2_HOME</key>
>>   <string>/usr/local/apache-maven/apache-maven-2.0.9</string>
>>   <key>MAVEN_OPTS</key>
>>   <string>-Xms256m -Xmx512m</string>
>>   <key>PATH</key>
>>   <string>$M2:$PATH</string>
>> </dict>
>> </plist>
>> GMXUX-Ricardo-Rodriguez:.MacOSX rrodriguez$
>
> This looks pretty wrong to me, although I'm not really familiar with
> Apple's property lists. You seem to assume that property lists
> understand bash's $XXX notation for variable interpolation, which I'm
> quite sure won't work. I suspect that you have to insert the FULL,
> EXPANDED path list here, as printed when you type "echo $PATH" in the
> Terminal.

This makes sense. Thanks for the tip. What I am not able to work out now
is to know how and why R.app is picking up this valeu for PATH...

> Sys.getenv("PATH")
                      PATH
"$M2:$PATH:/usr/local/bin"

I am not able to figure out where am I setting this value for PATH. M2,
M2_HOME and MAVEN_OPTS, the variable I've been dealing with, are not set
in the shell...

GMXUX-Ricardo-Rodriguez:~ rrodriguez$ echo $M2

GMXUX-Ricardo-Rodriguez:~ rrodriguez$ echo $M2_HOME

GMXUX-Ricardo-Rodriguez:~ rrodriguez$ echo $MAVEN_OPTS

But all three are set in R!

> Sys.getenv("PATH")
                      PATH
"$M2:$PATH:/usr/local/bin"
> Sys.getenv("M2")
                                              M2
"/usr/local/apache-maven/apache-maven-2.0.9/bin"
> Sys.getenv("M2_HOME")
                                     M2_HOME
"/usr/local/apache-maven/apache-maven-2.0.9"
> Sys.getenv("MAVEN_OPTS")
         MAVEN_OPTS
"-Xms256m -Xmx512m"

.Rprofile works fine and I am able to control variables with this file
but, I there is not .Rprofile, where could am I be setting these
variables? Does .RData store these values?

I would like to understand where am I wrong. Thanks for your help!

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your XEN ICT Team