[R-SIG-Mac] /bin/sh: tar: command not found

Stefan Evert stefan.evert at uos.de
Sun Oct 5 14:20:00 CEST 2008

> I've modified the system wied .bashrc in /etc. Note that I've do cd,
> not cd / previous to grep. Look now...

If I understand the Leopard architecture correctly, you don't want to
mess around with /etc/bashrc to set additional paths. Rather, add a
new file to /etc/paths.d/ which contains _only_ the extra search path.
This should be included automatically in $PATH when you start a new
Terminal session, but won't work for R.app either.

> I've done it. I hasn't effect on the PATH. I forgot to delete it. I
> deleted it now.
>
> GMXUX-Ricardo-Rodriguez:.MacOSX rrodriguez$ cat environment.plist
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd
> ">
> <plist version="1.0">
> <dict>
>   <key>M2</key>
>   <string>/usr/local/apache-maven/apache-maven-2.0.9/bin</string>
>   <key>M2_HOME</key>
>   <string>/usr/local/apache-maven/apache-maven-2.0.9</string>
>   <key>MAVEN_OPTS</key>
>   <string>-Xms256m -Xmx512m</string>
>   <key>PATH</key>
>   <string>$M2:$PATH</string>
> </dict>
> </plist>
> GMXUX-Ricardo-Rodriguez:.MacOSX rrodriguez$

This looks pretty wrong to me, although I'm not really familiar with
Apple's property lists. You seem to assume that property lists
understand bash's $XXX notation for variable interpolation, which I'm
quite sure won't work. I suspect that you have to insert the FULL,
EXPANDED path list here, as printed when you type "echo $PATH" in the
Terminal.

Hope this helps,
Stefan