[R-SIG-Mac] /bin/sh: tar: command not found

[Ricardo Rodriguez] Your XEN ICT Team webmaster at xen.net
Sat Oct 4 18:24:39 CEST 2008

Hi Kasper

Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> Ok, this is clearly wrong. As you can see in your output, this PATH
> does not contain /usr/bin where tar is. In my case I get
> R> Sys.getenv("PATH")
>
> PATH
> "/Users/khansen/Bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin"
>

> This looks like a failed attempt at setting the PATH somewhere. What
> you see is where similar to the syntax you use in your .bashrc file
> but with stuff jumbled a bit. So my wild guess is that you have tried
> setting your PATH somewhere else and that this gets picked up. Do you
> have a .profile file. In fact I would do something like
>
> # cd
> # grep PATH * .*
> (star space dot star), to see if you are playing with the PATH
> somewhere else.

Here the output of this command...

GMXUX-Ricardo-Rodriguez:~ rrodriguez$ sudo grep PATH * .*
Password:
.Rhistory:Sys.getenv("PATH")
.bash_history:echo $PATH
.bash_history:echo $PATH
.bash_history:echo $PATH
.bash_history:echo $PATH
.bash_history:echo $PATH
.bash_history:echo $PATH
.bash_history:echo $PATH
.bash_history:echoc$PATH
.bash_history:$echo PATH
.bash_history:echo $PATH
.bash_history:echo $PATH
.bash_history:echo $PATH
.bash_profile.bak:export PATH=$PATH:$M2
.viminfo:    export PATH=$PATH:$M2
.viminfo:    export PATH=$PATH:$M2
GMXUX-Ricardo-Rodriguez:~ rrodriguez$

In fact I realized that I was using the wrong order of variables! The
right one is $M2:$PATH. But this has nothing to do with the issue we are
dealing with now.

Could this .bash_profile.bak be the problem? I have left this file there
while trying to set some variables I need to work with Maven in
/etc/.bashrc.
> Are you on a multi-user system? (Could your sys admin have played with
> site-settings?)

I am using a brand new MacBook Pro laptop. I am the only user and
administrator.

> My comment about BASH and SH was just based on your prompt. It is
> normal that R uses SH for its purposes, that is pretty standard.

I think years ago Mac OS X used tcsh as default shell. But today bash is
the default one. The "funny" thing is that sudo su apparently switch to
sh. I can not say much on this. Just that your comment called my
attention on this.

> The reason why people are talking about DevTools is that this is
> needed in order to compile from source. And a lot of tools are found
> in the DevTools. And most of us cannot remember if tar came from
> DevTools or with a standard Mac OS X. But I am pretty sure it is part
> of standard OS X.

I got it! tar is part of the standard OS X distribution as ./usr/bin/tar

Thanks for your help!

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez