[R-SIG-Mac] LIBGLADE on 64 bit R

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Oct 3 17:21:53 CEST 2008

Kurt,

On Oct 2, 2008, at 19:06 , Kurt Newman wrote:

> When attempting to install RGtk2 from source on a Mac Pro with 64
> bit R the following error occurs:* Installing *source* package
> 'RGtk2' ...checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-
> configchecking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yeschecking
> for LIBGLADE... noconfigure: WARNING: libglade not foundchecking for
> INTROSPECTION... nochecking for GTK... noconfigure: error: GTK
> version 2.8.0 requiredERROR: configuration failed for package
> 'RGtk2'** Removing '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/
> library/RGtk2'I have installed GTK+ 2.10.11 run-time  from http://r.research.att.com/I
>  have read about LIBGLADE on various internet sites, but I have
> become confused about which version should be installed and how it
> should be configured.  Please tell me what additional software I
> need to install to compile R packages from source so they will work
> with 64 bit R.  Thank you,Kurt

Well, if you want to use Gtk2 and glade, you should install Gtk2 in
the first place. I don't know of any 64-bit binary, so you probably
have to do that yourself. This has nothing to do with R ...

PS: Building GTk2 from sources is not quite trivial, but I have some
scripts that may help you:
https://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/trunk/QA/Simon/R-build/misc/
I have not tested it as 64-bit build, but it should at least give you
the list of dependencies and some idea of the special flags you'll need.