[R-SIG-Mac] installing R-2.8 from source - segmentation faults at make check

Mon Nov 24 20:55:10 CET 2008

Hi Mike,

Just gonna CC the list back so that more people can chime in if
necessary:

> Thanks.  I have been trying to access the r.research.att.com site
> all weekend, to no avail.  When I run your command below, all I get
> is jibberish in the terminal window.  Are you experiencing the same
> problems (i.e., is the jibberish normal?).

I'm not getting jibberish ... I'm also not having any problems
accessing the r.research.att.com site, so ... is that still happening
for you?

Anyway, an alternative you can try is to just d/l the binary directly
using your browser, and run the necessary commands (the tar stuff)
from the terminal.

That would look something like this.

1) Download the 2.8 binary using your browser by just dropping its URL
your address field:

http://r.research.att.com/R-2.8-branch-leopard-universal.tar.gz

I will assume that you're using Leopard + Safari, which is important
for two things

(i) It should d/l that binary into your ~/Downloads folder
(ii) it will automagically unzip the gz and leave you with the R-2.8-
*.tar file (I think, mine does this automatically)

2) You'll have to unpack the tar archive *into* the correct location,
which is the root of your system. That's why you need to use `sudo`
and that's what the "-C /" is doing at the end of the tar command. So,
now that you've d/led the archive w/ your browser, from the terminal,
type:

$ sudo tar xvf ~/Downloads/R-2.8-branch-leopard-universal.tar -C /

Note that it's not "tar xvfz" since it's unzipped ... if your binary
ends in *.tar.gz then you'd add the z

Anyway, that should do the trick, too, so let us know if that works.

-steve