[R-SIG-Mac] lme4 fails to load in R GUI 2.8.0

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Nov 19 15:34:17 CET 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 22:30 , Christopher David Desjardins wrote:

> Am I correct in thinking then that's it this old version of lme4
> that I have installed?  This version is from 14 October 2007 but I
> need this specific version for a course I'm taking.

Yes, it appears so. You cannot use such an old version (binary) with
the current R. For the course it should not matter which version you
are using.
If you feel brave, you can try to compile the old version from sources
in the new R (download the source .tar.gz file and use R CMD INSTALL
to install it). It may not work because old versions are not designed
to work in new R versions, but you can try your luck if you really
can't live with the new version.

> On Nov 18, 2008, at 8:23 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>
>> You are picking up a very ancient binary for R 2.5.0 (as you can
>> see from the error). Check your .libPath() for old package binaries
>> and remove/reinstall them.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> On Nov 18, 2008, at 8:37 PM, Christopher David Desjardins wrote:
>>
>>> When I try to load lme4 on R (2.8.0) in the R GUI for Mac OS X, I
>>> get the following warnings and errors ...

>>> Attaching package: 'Matrix'
>>>

>>> 	The following object(s) are masked from package:stats :
>>>
>>> 	 xtabs
>>>

>>> 	The following object(s) are masked from package:base :
>>>
>>> 	 colMeans,
>>> 	 colSums,
>>> 	 rcond,
>>> 	 rowMeans,
>>> 	 rowSums
>>>
>>> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>>> unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
>>> Resources/library/lme4/libs/i386/lme4.so':
>>> dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/lme4/libs/
>>> i386/lme4.so, 6): Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/