[R-SIG-Mac] R base functions from R.app

Atul Sharma atul.sharma at mcgill.ca
Tue Nov 18 02:58:23 CET 2008

I am enormously grateful for the work and effort that has been put
into the Mac port of R and R.app GUI.  However, there are a couple of
functions I miss from other versions, and I was wondering if there is
an easy way to add them.

1) Under windows script editor, I was able to send a single line to
the console via Control- R, which stepped the cursor to the next line
in the editor.  In R.app, I have to execute and then step manually to
the next line   Is there any easy way to have it step to the next line
after executing. I don't mind recompiling R.app, which I do to
reassign key bindings in any case, but I can't figure out how to
modify this behavior (I am new to XCode, sorry).

2) bringToTop() would bring the active graphics window to the
foreground, but seems to be missing from the Mac port. I've tried
various ways of designating the active window etc, but none bring it
to the foreground.

3) To get around (1), I tend to work with Carbon Emacs or Aquamacs.
However, in R.app, I often use file.choose() for interactive selection
of data files; this function does not work if called from within
Aquamacs or Emacs. While the same can probably be achieved with Elisp,
I would prefer the code be interchangeable.

I know these are very trivial and subjective deficiencies, but habits
are hard to break, and I would be happy for any solutions.

Atul