[R-SIG-Mac] help() start page - how to set

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Mon Nov 17 23:57:11 CET 2008

I am trying to get StatET (an Eclipse plugin for R/S) working on MacOS.

I can bring up a functioning R console within Eclipse but have a
problem with help().

If I set options browser="/usr/bin/open" and htmlHelp=TRUE, then
help(name) brings up the appropriate help page in the default browser.

However, help() with no argument brings up help(help).   This is what
happens with help() running R in a Terminal.  What I would like to get
is the help index page which is at /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
Versions/2.7/Resources/doc/html/index.html as when one selects Help in
the R gui.

Is there any way to do this?

Bill Northcott