[R-SIG-Mac] upgradeable R layout

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Nov 14 18:36:06 CET 2008

On Nov 13, 2008, at 19:28 , Alexy Khrabrov wrote:

> Greetings -- I'd like to keep my R on Mac in an upgradeable way. I
> noticed that currently all packages I installed from R.app are in
> the R.framework -- are they going to be clobbered when I replace R
> 2.7.2 by 2.8.0?

No, they will stay in the 2.7 folder. You can re-install them for 2.8
by selecting "Select packages from R 2.7" in the search field of the
Package Installer and clicking on "Install Selected".

> At the same time with the upgrade, I'd also like to switch to 64
> bit.  One good page I found about it is
>
> http://www.matthewckeller.com/html/64_bit_r_on_mac.html

That page is dangerous and incorrect (see my earlier post about it on
this list). I would advise users to be cautious about following
instructions blindly, you better be sure that the person knows what s/
he's writing about. If you feel that some instructions on CRAN or the
R for Mac Devel page are insufficient, say so here instead of
speculating!

> It suggests that packages are installed into a separate directory by
> doing it from command line install.packages with a lib= parameter.
>
> Now I'd like to install everything into a lib anyways, but
> preferably without having to specify lib= all the time -- is there a
> way to make my local location the default for install.packages?

Several - see "At User Level" and "As defined by .libPath()" options
in the Package Installer.

> Also -- can the R.app be tweaked to do all this, if I want to use it
> with the 64 bit and local install for packages?

What do you mean by "all this"? It already supports an easy upgrade
between R version and custom paths so I really don't see what you're
missing.