[R-SIG-Mac] project request: TextWrangler plugin

Sun Nov 9 19:11:21 CET 2008

Hi Carl,

On Nov 8, 2008, at 6:07 PM, Carl Witthoft wrote:

> I know :-), I should just learn AquaMacs w/ ESS,  but I am
> comfortable w/ TextWrangler.  So, just thought I'd put a shout out
> to see if anyone would like to write a plugin that would let the
> user execute code (in R.app) from a TextWrangler window.
>
> If not, well, I'll live :-0

You might be interested to know that TextMate has a pretty capable R
bundle. I'm not trying to convert anyone to a new editor, but I think
getting used to TextMate would be easier than getting up to speed with
emacs if you're coming from TextWrangler.

I've dabbled with the bundle a bit, but I honestly don't use it
(perhaps I should). I know you can do things like interactively send R
commands to a running R process in the background, and has interesting
ways to deal with Sweave docs. If you're intersted:

Here is a blog post/screencast showing some aspects of the R bundle in
TextMate:

http://skiadas.dcostanet.net/afterthought/2007/02/21/r-and-sweave-in-textmate/

You'll notice it's quite old. The R bundle has been pretty much
totally revamped. I can't find any new screencasts using it, but
here's some talk about it when the new bundle was released on the TM-
user mailing list (still, almost a year old):

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.editors.textmate.general/24195

HTH,
-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou
Graduate Student: Physiology, Biophysics and Systems Biology

http://cbio.mskcc.org/~lianos