[R-SIG-Mac] problem installing binary package with install.packages

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Nov 7 22:00:24 CET 2008

On Nov 7, 2008, at 11:28 , Kjell Konis wrote:

> There seems to be a bug when using install.packages to install a
> local binary package. Installing the package using R CMD INSTALL in
> a shell works fine.
>
> > file.exists("/u/smat/konis/Documents/Projects/RHugin_0.5-3_R_i386-
> apple-darwin8.11.1.tar.gz")
> [1] TRUE
>
> > install.packages("/u/smat/konis/Documents/Projects/
> RHugin_0.5-3_R_i386-apple-darwin8.11.1.tar.gz", repos = NULL)
> Avis dans install.packages("/u/smat/konis/Documents/Projects/
> RHugin_0.5-3_R_i386-apple-darwin8.11.1.tar.gz",  :
>  l'argument 'lib' manque : '/u/smat/konis/Library/R/2.8/library' est
> utilisé
> Erreur dans gzfile(file, "r") : impossible d'ouvrir la connexion
> De plus : Warning message:
> In gzfile(file, "r") :
>  impossible d'ouvrir le fichier compressé 'RHugin_0.5-3_R_i386-apple-
> darwin8.11.1.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION', cause probable : 'No such file or
> directory'

Binary packages for Mac OS X are expected to have the extension .tgz
so the above is not a valid binary package (see 6.3.2 in R-admin).

In addition binary packages for Mac OS X are expected to have the
filename packageName_version.tgz, therefore files with platform
designation are not supported, either. This is different from other
unix systems. I have relaxed the requirements for
install.packages(,repos=NULL) in R-devel but I would still strongly
recommend to adhere to the above rules.