[R-SIG-Mac] 64 bit - Installing packages from source

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Nov 7 01:33:27 CET 2008

On Nov 6, 2008, at 6:07 PM, Steven McKinney wrote:

> Prof. Ripley replied
>> Note that R 2.8.0 and Bioconductor 2.3 postdate the messages you
>> quote.
> but I have not yet seen any announcement that it is no longer
> necessary to install from sources, and Patrick Aboyoun does not
> mention ppc64, so I'd still really appreciate guidance on this issue
> for Mac OS X Leopard for arch ppc64.

You can use binary packages with the Leopard build. If some packages
are not available or don't work, feel free to fall back to
installation from sources. As for ppc64 there is still the issue of R
not supporting cross-compilation, so packages with configure script
are currently available for i386, ppc and x86_64 only. There is a plan
to build dylibs on a ppc64 machine and merge them, but I didn't have
time to set it up yet. There are a few remaining issues with the
Leopard build that I'd like to address before putting it on CRAN
officially which are mostly related to dependent libraries.