[R-SIG-Mac] 64 bit - Installing packages from source

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Fri Nov 7 01:24:13 CET 2008

Steve and Steve,
While this is slightly off topic, I would just like to offer a brief
aside since Bioconductor has been brought up on this mailing list. The
Bioconductor project doesn't support ppc64 at this time and that is why
I was silent on it in my e-mail to the Bioconductor community. We
currently have only one Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) build machine and it
uses Intel technology. The reason why some of the BioC 2.3 packages have
ppc64 binaries and some don't is because some packages with external
source code let R fully control the compiler flags (like the one
specifying the architecture) and others don't (e.g. because they include
a make framework). For the ones that R has complete compiler flag
control over, the BioC 2.3 Mac OS X Leopard packages contain all four
architectures since we use Simon Urbanek's R binaries that contain
quad-architecture support as well as the compilers he recommends. When R
doesn't have full control over the compilation flags, we use a standard
R-based compilation method to create the libraries that are appropriate
for ppc, i386, x86_64. If there are others out there who are in the same
boat as Steve McKinney and would like to use BioC 2.3 on a ppc64 and are
having trouble doing so, let me know so I can pass that information on
to the BioC core team.

Cheers,
Patrick