[R-SIG-Mac] 64 bit R tcltk library problem: Symbol not found: _Tk_Init

Thu Nov 6 22:29:34 CET 2008

Hi,

> I then installed R.app from R-GUI-5256-2.8-leopard-Deployment64.dmg
> and installed a number of bioconductor libraries from source.
> I advanced farther in getting 64-bit R and libraries up and
> running than at any previous attempt, and thought I finally had
> functional 64 bit R available on my Mac.
>
> But I keep hitting a tcltk problem that I can't seem to solve.
> Whenever I'm trying to install a package that requires tcltk
> the installation fails with this message:

> DLLpath, ...) :
>  unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
> Resources/library/tcltk/libs/ppc64/tcltk.so':
>  dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/tcltk/libs/
> ppc64/tcltk.so, 10): Symbol not found: _Tk_Init
>  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/
> tcltk/libs/ppc64/tcltk.so
>  Expected in: dynamic lookup

I know this doesn't really help you at all, but it seems that tcltk
installed smoothly on my machine (Mac Pro) and I was able to compile a
4-way fat binary.

In trying to be a little helpful, though ...

> Initially I installed several Bioconductor packages,
> using biocLite() e.g.
> biocLite("beadarray", type = "source")

You don't actually need to install bioconductor packages from source
-- they're already compiled as a 4-way fat binary for Leopard as of
bioconductor 2.3 ... while it doesn't help you much here, perhaps it's
good to know to save you install/compile time in the future.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou
Graduate Student: Physiology, Biophysics and Systems Biology

http://cbio.mskcc.org/~lianos