[R-SIG-Mac] 64-bit build of R crashes while idle

Thu Nov 6 19:04:08 CET 2008

On Nov 6, 2008, at 12:50 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2008, at 11:25 , Steve Lianoglou wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Early last week, I installed the 64-bit leopard build for R
>> provided here: http://r.research.att.com/
>>
>> I've realized that when R.app is running in the background (and
>> sitting idle), it eventually beach-balls. When I switch over to see
>> what's happening, I see that R is crashed, and it's giving me
>> options to:
>>
>> * abort
>> * save workspace then abort
>> * 1 or 2 others
>>
>> Sorry, I didn't copy the issue down exactly because I hastily quit
>> it and reinstalled R 2.7.2 to get back to work.
>
> Note that the Leopard build contains both 32-bit *and* 64-bit, so
> you don't have to install anything special to get back to 32-bit -
> just start the 32-bit version of the GUI and you're set.

I knew I could switch between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of R from the
command line, but I wasn't sure how to do it using the R.app GUI. How
do I do it?

I feel like I remember reading somewhere that you can find a 64-bit
checkbox in the "File > Get Info" dialog box to toggle 64bit apps. Is
that it?

Thanks,
-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou
Graduate Student: Physiology, Biophysics and Systems Biology

http://cbio.mskcc.org/~lianos