[R-SIG-Mac] Cannot cahnge working directory

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon May 12 17:34:36 CEST 2008

On May 12, 2008, at 10:53 AM, Grant, Mark D. wrote:

> In 2.7.0 I am getting an error with setwd not encountered in 2.6.2
>

> setwd("/Users/markgrant/Documents/_projects/genetic/r")
>
> gives
>
> Error in setwd("/Users/markgrant/Documents/_projects/genetic/r") :
>   cannot change working directory
>
> However, I can change the working directory from the GUI

Not really except that the path may not be correct (I'm not sure what
you mean "from the GUI" - I'm assuming you mean the interactive
choice) or you're running the GUI as a different user than the command
line. Try looking at the permissions - e.g. to the very least try
ls -l /Users/markgrant/Documents/_projects/genetic/r
and if that fails, you know it's wrong and/or you don't have the
permissions and you probably want to go up along the directory
structure to find out why(e.g. Document has usually very restrictive
permissions).