[R-SIG-Mac] Question Regarding R, Mac OS X, and Proxy Servers:

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu May 1 20:03:56 CEST 2008

Dan,

R is using its own cross-platform code for HTTP/FTP connections and
relies on the usual http_proxy env variable. Hence your best bet is to
set http_proxy in .Rprofile as Kasper suggested.

Determining proxy settings from the preferences is very messy and
unreliable (due to PAC proxies), so the only alternative would be to
use Apple's CF network API for downloads. Given that it only adds
complexity (event loop issues etc.) with no obvious functional benefit
it is questionable whether it's worth the hassle.