[R-SIG-Mac] Directing output to R.app GUI from compiled C code

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 30 23:13:28 CEST 2008

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Michael Braun wrote:

> Thank you for everyone's help on this.  I think I have narrowed the
> issue down to the buffer.  When I run R in the terminal, the line:
>
> fprintf(stdout,"testing\n");
>
> gets flushed after each line, but when I run under R.app, all calls
> get flushed at the end of my program.
>
> If I add the line
>
> fflush(stdout);
>
> after each fprintf call in R,app, the text is flushed as expected.
>
> The line
>
> fprintf(stderr,"testing\n");
>
> gets flushed line-by-line in both cases.
>
> So, for some reason, I need to flush the stdout buffer after each line
> in R.app, but not when I run R in terminal.  This is an easy
> workaround, although I am interested by this would work differently in
> the terminal and GUI versions of R.

That is the (POSIX) standard behaviour: stdout is line-buffered when
writing to a terminal and fully buffered otherwise, and stderr is
unbuffered.  (I understood that R.app displays output from these files
only when they contain a complete line.)

I was going to ask what buffering had been set on stdout, and suggest it
would be worth setting line buffering (via setvbuf) if the above analysis
is accurate.