[R-SIG-Mac] Directing output to R.app GUI from compiled C code

Michael Braun braunm at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 29 19:23:04 CET 2008

I am a recent convert from Linux to Mac (OS X 10.5.2 on a Mac Pro),
and  am trying to direct some output from  compiled C code to the
R.app GUI.  For simple things, of course, I use Rprintf from the R
API.  But there are other cases (e.g., using the matrix print routines
in GSL) for which Rprintf is inappropriate.  When I was in Linux-land,
I could direct the output to stdout with no problem (and I can still
do that running R from a terminal window on OS X).  But if I run my
app under R.app, the output never makes it to the screen (naturally,
because R.app is not standard output).

So, is there an output file that I can use in place of stdout that
will get my output to the R.app GUI (and preferably, to a terminal
window session as well)?

Thanks!

Michael

Michael Braun
Assistant Professor of Management Science (Marketing Group)
MIT Sloan School of Management
One Amherst St., E40-169
Cambridge, MA 02142
braunm at mit.edu