[R-SIG-Mac] upgrade to 2.6 removes 2.5?

William Revelle lists at revelle.net
Fri Mar 21 04:57:14 CET 2008

>Hi
>
>I just upgraded from R2.5 to R2.6.2 .  When I went to use the 2.6
>package installer "Select packages from..." function (i.e. clicking
>on the magnifying glass) I found that 2.5 was not listed.  A little
>poking around revealed that my 2.5 installation was gone
>(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.5  no longer exista).
>It was there the last time my "locate" database was updated, and I
>used 2.5 this morning.  Has anybody else seen this?
>
>Julin

Julin,

R for Mac FAQ  1.4 says
"Mac OS X also keeps an installation receipt if an application was
installed using the Apple Installer. These receipts are usually kept
in /Library/Receipts and Apple's Installer decides based on the
receipt whether a program will be installed or upgraded. If you do
not want to perform an upgrade (e.g. if you want to keep multiple R
versions in parallel), you will have to remove the corresponding
receipt(s). Depending on the OS X version rm -rf
/Library/Receipts/R-* may work. The exact details are
system-dependent, please see the corrensponding documentation by
Apple."

What this means is that if you want to use the previous packages, you
need to go to the Library/Receipts and drag the  R (something)
receipt to the trash. In this case, you will get a new installation
but your old one is still there.  In particular, the old libraries
are there and can be dragged to the new installation.

A useful add on is to download the  Rswitch GUI from the development
Mac page at http://r.research.att.com/.  Then, when you download a
new version (after trashing the receipt to make sure that you keep
the old version) you can choose which version to use.

Bill