[R-SIG-Mac] X11 problem after migration to Leopard

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 20 10:02:14 CET 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Martin Eklund wrote:

> [snip]

Including snipping the vital data!  (Please don't do that.)

>> Hmm, I would fire up R on the command line and do something like
>>
>> Sys.getenv("DISPLAY")
>> Sys.getenv("PATH")
>>
>> that way you can figure out what environment variables R is using.
>> How they are set is hard to know, but as I said, candidates are (all
>> in the HOME directory or perhaps in the directory where you run R)
>> .profile
>> .MacOS/.environment.plist
>> .bashrc
>> .bash_login
>> .Rprofile
>> .Rlib
>>
>> Having said that, my _guess_ based on the warning messages is that
>> you probably have a locale problem (which may or may not be
>> connected to whether X11 finds the fonts). I am using the default
>> locale (= I have a clean install, uses english as my system language
>> and have not touched anything) and I get the following from
>> sessionInfo():
>> locale:
>> en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
>> whereas you seem to have something different:
>> locale:
>> C/UTF-8/C/C/C/C
>> I know little about locales, except that they sometime cause
>> problems... :)
>>
>> Another thing you could try to help debug is to run X11 from the
>> Aqua GUI.
>>

> As you say, I did indeed have a locale problem. I've never had any
> reasons to worry about locale settings before and therefore know
> hardly anything about them, but if I change the locale according to
> Sys.setlocale("LC_CTYPE", "C") plotting works like a charm. However, I
> have to change the locale every time I start a new session. Is there a
> way to permanently change this setting?

Setting LC_ALL=C in the environment does that.

However, it seems pretty unlikely that you really want to do that in
Sweden. The issue seems to be that you have the encoding set to an invalid
value

>locale:
>C/UTF-8/C/C/C/C

is wrong.  So try setting LC_ALL=sv_SE.UTF-8, or if you only want the
character set to be UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

I just tested

blacklark% env LC_CTYPE=sv_SE.UTF-8 R
> Sys.getlocale()
[1] "C/sv_SE.UTF-8/C/C/C/C"

and it is displaying correctly on X11 plots.

I suggest you track down the incorrect setting of LC_CTYPE.