[R-SIG-Mac] X11 problem after migration to Leopard

Wed Mar 19 16:31:09 CET 2008

On Mar 19, 2008, at 12:35 AM, Martin Eklund wrote:

> Hi everyone again,
>
> sessionInfo() gives the following output:
>
> ======================
> R version 2.6.2 (2008-02-08)
> i386-apple-darwin8.10.1
>
> locale:
> C/UTF-8/C/C/C/C
>
> attached base packages:

> [1] rcompgen_0.1-17
> ======================
>
> I have upgraded to the latest X11 from http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz
>  and I have also tried the tip about how to fix X11 at http://r.research.att.com/building.html
> . However, none of these actions fixes the problem. I have also tried
> to reinstall R (though I didn't have any hopes that it would fix the
> problem - but to be on the safe side...).
>
> When I migrated to Leopard I made a disc image of my old system, put
> it on an external hard drive, installed Leopard on my computer, then
> used the migration assistant to install my old user account again from
> the external hard drive. So, as Kasper Hansen suggests, it is quite
> likely that the problem is related to some old config file lurking
> around somewhere. Problem is that I have no idea where or what it
> could be (as I said before, I have disabled the DISPLAY settings that
> I had before to get plotting to work from the command line when
> running Tiger).
>
> Any suggestions what could be wrong?

Hmm, I would fire up R on the command line and do something like

Sys.getenv("DISPLAY")
Sys.getenv("PATH")

that way you can figure out what environment variables R is using. How
they are set is hard to know, but as I said, candidates are (all in
the HOME directory or perhaps in the directory where you run R)
.profile
.MacOS/.environment.plist
.bashrc
.bash_login
.Rprofile
.Rlib

Having said that, my _guess_ based on the warning messages is that you
probably have a locale problem (which may or may not be connected to
whether X11 finds the fonts). I am using the default locale (= I have
a clean install, uses english as my system language and have not
touched anything) and I get the following from sessionInfo():
  locale:
  en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
whereas you seem to have something different:
  locale:
  C/UTF-8/C/C/C/C
I know little about locales, except that they sometime cause
problems... :)

Another thing you could try to help debug is to run X11 from the Aqua
GUI.

Kasper