[R-SIG-Mac] X11 problem after migration to Leopard

Martin Eklund martin.eklund at farmbio.uu.se
Tue Mar 18 20:11:48 CET 2008

Hi,

After migrating to Leopard I have problems with X11 when sunning R
from the command line (which I prefer). I acknowledge that this most
likely is not an R issue, but I thought that somebody else on this
list might have had the same problem and has a nice solution to offer...

When trying to plot something in R from the command line (it works
however from the R GUI) I get the following error message:

Error in X11() :
   could not find any X11 fonts
Check that the Font Path is correct.
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In X11() :
   locale not supported by Xlib: some X ops will operate in C locale
2: In X11() : X cannot set locale modifiers

So, it seems like R cannot find the fonts. Issuing xset -q in the
terminal generates the following output:

Keyboard Control:
   auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
   auto repeat delay:  660    repeat rate:  25
   auto repeating keys:  00ffffffffffff7f
                         00ffffffffffffff
                         ffffffffffffffff
                         ffffffffffffffff
   bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
Pointer Control:
   acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
Screen Saver:
   prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
   timeout:  600    cycle:  600
Colors:
   default colormap:  0x21    BlackPixel:  0    WhitePixel:  16777215
Font Path:
   /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/,/usr/X11/
lib/X11/fonts/OTF,/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/
100dpi/,/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/
Bug Mode: compatibility mode is disabled
PMS (Energy Star):
   Display is not capable of DPMS
Font cache:
   Server does not have the FontCache Extension

To me the font path in this output seems correct.

I have disabled all DISPLAY settings that I previously had in
my .bash_profile and my PATH variable is set according to: export PATH=
$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/Applications:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/X11/lib:.

Any suggestions about how to fix this problem is greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Martin.

Martin Eklund
PhD Student
Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences
Uppsala University, Sweden
Ph: +46-18-4714281