[R-SIG-Mac] cmd-return in editor does not go to next line

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Mar 4 21:03:05 CET 2008

On 3/4/2008 2:31 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> Rune,
>
> On Mar 4, 2008, at 1:12 PM, Rune Maagensen wrote:
>
>> I've just started using R 2.62 on OSX 10.4.11 on a macbook 2,1 and
>> found that in the Editor on Windows ctrl-R runs the current line and
>> goes to the next line. On Mac cmd-return runs the current line and
>> stays there. Shouldn't the cursor go to the next line, so a program
>> can be run stepwise with multiple cmd-rtn instead of cmd-rtn down-
>> arrow?
>>

> It was not designed to do so, but clearly it could be changed,  I'm
> not sure it's good idea, though, as it combines an action (execute a
> line) with a change of selection and that is usually not desirable (I
> know that WIndows is known to breach UI design principles all over the
> place, but that's another story). Most commonly one uses selection to
> select the program/function that will be run instead and you don't
> want to change the position there. Any comments on this from other
> users?

In Windows the mental image is that there are two functions attached to
Ctrl-R:

  - if something is selected, then submit it.
  - if not, then single step through the script.

The second function is what Rune is asking about.  I'd say it's good to
have a "single step" function on a key.  It doesn't need to be the same
key as "submit the selection", but it doesn't seem to lead to confusion
if it is.

On a Mac in the Xcode debugger, what's the key for single stepping?  (My
Mac is at home, I can't check.)  It would make a lot of sense to use
that key for single stepping in the script editor too.

Duncan Murdoch