[R-SIG-Mac] tools for compiling R from source on Leopard

Michael Braun braunm at MIT.EDU
Sun Mar 2 06:53:56 CET 2008

Hi.  This week I received my very first Mac (I was previously a Linux
user), and I am now trying to compile R from source.  I am running Mac
OS 10.5.2, and I have downloaded and installed Xcode 3.0.  Following
instructions on the R for Mac OS FAQ page I see that I need to install
gfortran 4.2.1.  However, Xcode only comes with gcc 4.0.1, and I
understand that the versions need to be the same.

The R for Mac tools site mentions that the Apple version for gcc 4.2.1
is available from ADC, but I just cannot find it anywhere (I Googled,
searched, etc, with no luck--can someone please point me in the right
direction?).  So, I ran  the provided gcc42build5531.pkg installation
file.  The installer ran with no errors, but it doesn't seem to
install anywhere (I even created a test folder to install to, but
after the installation, that folder was empty).   gcc --version still
indicates that the version is 4.0.1.  The gfortran-42.pkg file
installed correctly.

I know this sounds more like a Mac OS problem than an R problem, but
since I am using tools (and following instructions) designed
specifically for R, I thought I'd ask for help here.   I suppose that
all I really need is to be able to effectively install either gcc
4.2.1 (since I have the R-approved gfortran 4.2.1 installed) or an R-
approved gfortran 4.0.1 (since I have gcc 4.0.1installed).

Either way, thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Michael Braun
braunm at mit.edu