[R-SIG-Mac] question: cex inside plot()

Todd A. Johnson tjohnson at src.riken.jp
Tue Jun 24 04:58:00 CEST 2008

Here's an answer by Professor Ripley to the R-help list a few years ago to
the same question:
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/01a/0413.html

Basically, cex set using par sets the initial scale at a global level across
all elements of a plot, but cex set locally inside plot() just changes the
scale of plotted points and text.  Try changing your plot type to type="p"
or type="b", and you will see cex inside plot() change the size of the
plotted symbols; if you just used type="l", you would not see a difference,
since line width and type is controlled through other settings.

Setting cex.axis, cex.lab, cex.sub, cex.main within plot() will set the
scale of axis annotations, x&y labels, sub-titles, and main titles with
respect to the current par setting of cex.

Best wishes,

Todd