[R-SIG-Mac] Building packages under R >= 2.7.0 (issue with gcc-4.2)

Vincent Goulet Vincent.Goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Mon Jun 2 16:10:39 CEST 2008

Simon,

Thanks for your reply. Please see inline.

Le lun. 02 juin à 09:16, Simon Urbanek a écrit :

> Vincent,
>
> I'm sorry but somehow I have no idea what you're talking about. Your
> package "actuar" (in the most recent version 0.9-7 on CRAN) passes
> "make check" with R 2.7.0 and it is available in binary form from
> CRAN as well, see:
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/actuar/index.html
>
> more comments inline:
>
> On Jun 1, 2008, at 1:50 AM, Vincent Goulet wrote:
>
>> My package checked and buit fine under 2.6.2 on Leopard 10.5.2.
>> Under 2.7.0, 2.7.0 patched (2008-05-29) and R-devel (2008-05-30) it
>> always fails at the "checking whether package 'actuar' can be
>> installed"  step. The 00install.log tells me that R tried to call
>> gcc-4.2, which I don't have. It is my understanding from reading
>> the documentation that this version of gcc is not mandatory. I have
>> XCode v. 3.0 installed.
>>

> The compiler used in the released versions is gcc (which is by
> default gcc-4.0 even if you installed gcc-4.2). You can map gcc to
> gcc-4.2 if you desire so, but that is a non-standard setup.

I started again from scratch (deleting everything in Library/
Frameworks/R.framework and reinstalling 2.7.0) and indeed, everything
is fine. It appears I had the troublesome Resources/etc/x86_64/
Makeconf file in my installation. How it got there I have no idea.
Perhaps a momentary lapse of reason in the installation process at
some point.

>> Furthermore, I noticed that, for 2.7.0, the /Library/Frameworks/
>> R.framework/Resources/etc/*/Makeconf files refer to gcc for i386
>> and ppc, and to gcc-4.2 on x86_64. For 2.7.0 patched and R-devel,
>> the Makeconf files refer to gcc-4.2 on all architectures.
>>

> Not in the official binaries that I am releasing:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/ppc/Makeconf:
> CC = gcc -arch ppc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -
> mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -std=gnu99
>
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/i386/Makeconf:
> CC = gcc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -
> mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -std=gnu99

However, as I originally stated, all Makeconf files in R-2.7-branch-
leopard-universal.tar.gz and R-devel-leopard-universal.tar.gz on
R.research.att.com refer to gcc-4.2. But then these are not official
releases, I guess.

>> I can't see what I did wrong, but then I'm certainly not the first
>> one to compile a package from source since the release of 2.7.0.
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>

> You'll have to tell us exactly which R build are you using. CRAN
> binaries are clearly not configured the way you are describing, so
> you must be using some custom or experimental build in which case
> you're on you own ...
>
> Nonetheless, even in the case of using gcc-4.2 your package
> installs, so I have no idea what you are concerned about.

Again, this was most likely caused by a partially oozed system. Sorry
for the inconvenience and thank you again for your help and great work.

Best,

Vincent