[R-SIG-Mac] trace(..., edit=TRUE) with external editor

Ryan Hafen rhafen at stat.purdue.edu
Tue Jul 22 04:43:00 CEST 2008

I am using an external editor (TextMate) with R and I want to be able
to successfully use trace(function, edit=TRUE).  Has anyone been able
to do this?

I am using Leopard, R version 2.7.0 R.app GUI 1.24 (5102).  I've tried
it with other external editors as well.  For example, set an external
editor (TextEdit, for example) in the Preferences and then try
"trace(plot, edit=TRUE)" and add something like "message('hi')" to the
top of the function, save and exit the text editor.  Then call
"body(plot" in R - the added line is not there.  Is it not possible?
Thanks!